Thrust into the real world

I realized I was a grown up about this time last year. I had just moved to Indy with no job and got an apartment by myself for the very first time. I had just enough money in the bank for a couple months of living expenses and my fingers crossed I would find a decent paying job before that money ran out.

I had never lived alone until moving to Indy. I either lived with one of my parents or a friend, but always had someone there to help with the bills, housework and all the other things that come with having a roof over your head.

No one will ever accuse me of being a clean freak, so it took a little while to realize that the vacuum does not actually work itself and the bathroom is not magically sparkling clean. I might not be Suzy Homemaker, but my home is clean and decently organized.

Paying all of the bills on one income is also an eye opening experience. The price of food and internet is ridiculous, not to mention the monthly rent on my quaint 650 square foot one bedroom apartment. For the first time I’ve had to weigh using money to pay bills vs. going to the bar or a Saturday night show. Turns out the choice is not as easy as one might think.

I did truly enjoy decorating my new place though. I finally have something that is completely me and completely my own style. When I come home, I can relax and the troubles outside seem to get lost at the front door; at least for a little while anyway.

I’m finally learning to balance it all now, but each month seems to be so different from the next sometimes it’s hard to be sure. I still worry about the possibility of losing everything if I lose my job in this economy, but I’m certain I am in the majority on that one. At the same time though I have an undeniable fear that the things I now have and the nice little life I’ve built for myself will hold me here and keep me trapped in one place forever. I guess that’s what being a grown up is all about.

0 comments:


 

Norman Reedus Photography

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates