The person I want to be...

As I’ve said before, I’m really excited about this blog. I think when you grow up these days you tend to lose your sense of individuality and start living your life around the rules set forth in work and life. I didn’t used to be that person and that’s not the person I want to be. I’m probably going to mention this topic a lot because I’m hoping this blog will be something to help remind me of that.

When I was younger, I was bold and had all these great ideas for what I was going to do with my life and never really considered what other people thought about it. That was a long time ago. I guess when I started junior high it all started to change. I think we all go through this, just trying to find a way to fit in and be accepted.

It’s never fun when someone makes fun of you because your favorite black jeans are too tight around the ankles and apparently that is no longer the style. You have two choices in life, be who you are or change to fit it in. Unfortunately for me, I chose the latter and spent a good deal of time wasted worrying about who and what other people thought I should be.

I tried a couple times over the years to let myself peak out but always lost the nerve and went back to conforming. It takes a lot more courage to be who you are than it does to be like everyone else and I just wasn’t ready to face that challenge. Well I am now, finally. I will speak my mind and be who I want to be and it’s not my problem if someone else doesn’t like it. It’s a bit liberating even to just say that out loud.

So the next time you see a kid walking down the street who stands out because they are completely different from everyone else, instead of making fun of them, think about how much courage they have to be the person they truly are and the strength it must take to deal with being the one to stand out. That is the person I want to be…

1 comments:

  1. blognut said...

    Be that person - there's a lot of freedom in that choice.  


 

Norman Reedus Photography

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates